I have read a lot of your answers to questions on the site and I know you recommend that people go to community college than transfer to save money.
I have been known to suggest that, Nick – this is true.
I thought about this for a little while than when I talked to my guidance counselor they told me that with my AP credits in chem physics and calc that it wasn’t worth it to go because the only useful class would be English. And at the beginning to of the my senior year I got the Rensselaer medalist award which was 15,000 each year regardless of your gpa as long as you are enrolled full-time.
Awesome – congrats!
So I decided to apply early decision to RPI, for aeronautical engineering, my dream school following the advice of my guidance counselor. The financial aid said that my parents could more than afford to send me to school for 50,000 a year.
Don’t you just love how they just decide what you can afford. “Oh you make this much? Then surely you can afford to pay for $50,000 worth of school! Doesn’t matter what else is happening in your life, what your plans are, whether you will get laid off next month – you can afford it!” Ridiculous, but I digress…
The problem is my family has gone through some rough times over the past few years with the economy being so bad.
See? This is EXACTLY what I am talking about.
And they didn’t save for college cause I had to go to a tutor for my learning disability when I was younger cause the state refused to help out. Although they have good credit and with them cosigning I qualified for a student loan for all I need it just won’t work out. The starting rate is over 7 percent and is adjustable up to 25. It is insane and worse than having a mortgage.
Is it worth appealing the aid, or trying to get into the rotc program even though I missed the deadline for the 4-year program?
Of course. It’s free and the worst that can happen is they say no. It’s absolutely worth trying.
I know I should have probably applied to more schools and non-binding admissions. Is it good to considering taking a year or semester off in order to apply somewhere else and get an aid offer from other colleges?
Sure, it’s worth considering, Nick. I know the general consensus is to go to high school, immediately go to college, get your 4 (or 5) years done and start your “adult life.” That’s all well & good, but it doesn’t necessarily work out that way for everyone. If you can save a significant amount of money by waiting – as long as you can work & make ends meet – I say go for it. But remember – when you “take time off” it is very easy to become complacent & never go back, so if you really do want to go to school, be sure you get back to it as soon as you can.
How about you all – any advice for Nick here? Let him know what you think!